About Me

My photo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Gary Mackean, The Boy Who Draws Monsters, is the creator of the gremlin webcomic Barnaby and Loaker, Angus the Haggis Slayer and many other characters. Gary is an Edinburgh cartoonist and illustrator and is available for commissions and projects. garymackean@aol.com

Wednesday 9 March 2011

It's Only A Paper Moon


"It's Only A Paper Moon"

I never feel a thing is real

When I'm away from you

Out of your embrace

The world's a temporary parking place

Inspired by the popular song It's Only a Paper Moon, originally written by Harold Arlen, E. Y. Harburg and Billy Rose in 1933, I created two papier mache models of an emotionally bitter moon and a hand-made D.I.Y looking rocket. I wanted to create a disgruntled feeling between the two models as if to suggest a sense of longing for the contents of the rocket and an unsatisfied expression for the Moon at the appearance of yet another visitor.

Currently being displayed at The Red Door Gallery

No comments: