About Me

My photo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Gary Mackean, The Boy Who Draws Monsters, is the creator of the gremlin webcomic Barnaby and Loaker, Angus the Haggis Slayer and many other characters. Gary is an Edinburgh cartoonist and illustrator and is available for commissions and projects. garymackean@aol.com

Tuesday 28 June 2011

Beauty and the Beast Character Designs








Character designs of the characters Beast, Beauty and Beauty's father for the waterstones book project. I wanted to get as far away from the Disney version and put my own spin on the fairytale. I have modernised the characters while also showing their transformation into refined and royal type costumes.


When designing the characters of Beauty and her father I tried to update them and place them in a rural poverty type setting similar to the enviroment seen in Daniel woodrell's film Winter Bone.



In terms of my design of the Beast character I wanted to give him an ogre type body and stance rather than merge him with the characteristics of an animal e.g. Disney's version. I think I was influenced by Shrek and Hellboy while designing this character.




No comments: