About Me

My photo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Gary Mackean, The Boy Who Draws Monsters, is the creator of the gremlin webcomic Barnaby and Loaker, Angus the Haggis Slayer and many other characters. Gary is an Edinburgh cartoonist and illustrator and is available for commissions and projects. garymackean@aol.com

Thursday 24 February 2011

A Cautionary Song

(Acrylic on MDF board)
This is an illustration for the Decemberists track "A Cautionary Song" from their albulm "Castaways and Cutouts" for the D+AD Brief this year. Originally I was going to illustrate the song "The Crane Wife" but after a few paintings I decided to change the song for something a little more simple.
"A Cautionary Song" details a mother's need to prostitute herself to sailors to make a living and to care for her son. It's quite a dark song but it's also quite humourous and upbeat at the same time due to the sarcastic ending. With the song I wanted to illustrate the desperate situation of the woman and the powerful and dominant presence of one of the sailors.
I think this image is possibly my most unsettling and disturbing images to date.

No comments: